The party set off early this morning for the annual camp in Aberystwyth. The fatigue group are already down in Wales getting the site ready and errecting all the tents. Its a big group this year with nearly 60 young people and adult volunteers. For more updates about this years camp please look on our facebook page.
A group of Salford Lads on the promenade at Douglas, Isle of Man in 1914, three months before the outbreak of WW1. As the club set off for the annual camp on Saturday 25th May it’s a poignant reminder of the clubs history, the 1914 camp to Milntown being the last large scale expedition by the club. 800 members and ex members enlisted in WW1 and 135 were killed. Here is a film made by Leslie Holmes ………. using photos from the club archive from 1914.
Young lads back in the club last week were talking about their amazing week under canvas, swimming in the river, and trips to the seaside: and so was Joseph Hammersley, back in the club for the first time in 74 years. Joe vividly remembers going on the 1939 camp with his friends. We found a picture of Joe, in the centre of the camping party in his striped T shirt and we also spotted him on film of the 1939 camp. He joined the RAF aged just 17 and was posted to Iceland, his best friend was a rear gunner in a Lancaster bomber, and never make it back. Joe is pictured in the gym with club leader Leon.
A party of young people and volunteers club set off from the club this morning for the 102nd annual camp. As usual a group are already in Wales setting up the campsite. This is the 80th year the club have camped in Aberystwyth, the first camp taking place in 1933.
The archive picture shows the club setting off from the same spot in 1914. The photograph shows Frankenstein’s textile factory (demolished in 1973) where the general store stands today. In 1914 the party were heading for Ramsey on the Isle of Man and the charabanc was used to transport lads to the railway station for the journey to Liverpool.
You can also like this on our Facebook page.
We are opens as part of the annual “Heritage Weekend Open Days” on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th September from 12 -4pm
On display will be our new permanent display of 100 pictures of the club’s annual camping holidays which started in 1904. The weekend will also include a concert by a quartet from the BBC Philharmonic who will perform in restored Edwardian Concert Hall.
The BBC Philharmonic Quartet will play English string music from the early 1900’s – including Parry, Warlock, Elgar and Britten. The concert will last approx. one hour.
The BBC Philharmonic Quartet concert is on Sunday 9th September at 2pm
Our 100 camping pictures and 16 short digital films which were created as part of our Heritage Lottery Fund project are now on the website.
You can find them via:
– The digital story tales are on our new Youtube channel
– All 100 photos are on our Flickr page
– We’ve combined the two together into a special interactive timeline
If you want to visit the club to see the framed pictures from our 100 camps please come along to our heritage open weekend on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th September 1-4pm.
The club lost two of its well-known and well-loved characters recently with the deaths of John Flannigan and John Torkington. Both were lads here in the early 1950s and continued to support the club for many years.
2005 SLC camp with “Flanny”, back row far left, Paddy Cook and “Torky” on the right in blue t shirt.
John Flannigan grew up in Granville Street and attended St Joseph’s RC Primary. John attended 4 camps between 1952 and 1957. His main sport was cricket where he became a fine batsman for local club Colgate Palmolive. He was a key member of the volunteer team with more than 32 years’ service, attending almost every camp. Local history meant a lot to John and he contributed to all our events and open days, his sense of humour will be missed by everyone.
John Torkington lived in Phoebe Street and went to Trafford Road Primary School. He was an all-round sportsman and captain of one of the great football teams at the club, organising many sporting events at camp during the 1950s and 60s.He continued to support the clubs events over the next 30 years attending many camps.
Jim Houghton, one of the senior volunteers at the club, died suddenly last week. Jim had a long association with the club, joining as a 12 year old in 1946. He attended 5 annual camps between1949 –1954 and was an outstanding cricket player for the club.
Salford Lad and rugby league star Charlie Pawsey returned to the club yesterday . Charlie was captain of Leigh RLFC, an England star and also captained the Great Britain team on the tour of Australia in 1950.
Archie, a life long fan of the game recalled Charlie’s exploits on the pitch for Leigh, England and Great Britain Charlie was also at Manchester United before WW2 but switched to Rugby League after the war. His SLC membership record shows he attended the 1937 camp, played netball for the club and his first job was as a cabin boy. Charlie spent his working life on the docks becoming a stevedore.
Pictures show Archie and Charlie in the gym, and Charlie in 1952
42 young people and volunteers set off for camp at 12.00 on Saturday, exactly 105 years after the club’s first Whitsuntide camp in 1904.
Photographer Stephen Wright was on hand to record this historic event.
The fatigue party were already in Aberystwyth, setting up the tents and the campsite. The party included veteran volunteers Eric Salthouse and Archie Swift who attended their first camp in 1946.