Senior volunteer workers at the club are remembering former member and professional footballer Albert McPherson who died this week aged 87. Albert lived in West Dixon Street and attended St Barts School, initially working as a block printer at local firm Worrall’s. He was a member of the club from 1942 to 1954, before signing for Walsall in 1955. He played centre half for Walsall until 1964 and was also club captain: he went on to coach and scout for West Brom.
Eric Salthouse, our most senior volunteer described Albert as “a fine athlete and all round good guy, a real role model for young lads at the club” Albert is pictured above (Front Right) in a Salford Lads Club football team at the annual camp in 1950 with Eric Salthouse (standing, 3rd from left)
A group of Salford Lads on the promenade at Douglas, Isle of Man in 1914, three months before the outbreak of WW1. As the club set off for the annual camp on Saturday 25th May it’s a poignant reminder of the clubs history, the 1914 camp to Milntown being the last large scale expedition by the club. 800 members and ex members enlisted in WW1 and 135 were killed. Here is a film made by Leslie Holmes ………. using photos from the club archive from 1914.
Our Heritage Weekend provided two attractions, the first chance to see the restored main gym and opportunity to hear a six piece Ukulele band live in the concert hall. The gym restoration project which was funded by the Booths Charities has given the club an amazingly light space that matches the concert hall, restored in 2009. The concert hall was also the venue to hear some wonderful banjo and ukulele playing by six members of the Grinners & Strummers ukulele band from Swinton.
A group of young footballers, along with their proud parents and family, came into the club for the first time this week for an end of season presentation. Ordsall Juniors Under 10s managed by Paul Houghton have completed their very first season in the City of Salford Soccer League. We hope they will be back next year when they are old enough to join the club!
A party of young people and volunteers club set off from the club this morning for the 102nd annual camp. As usual a group are already in Wales setting up the campsite. This is the 80th year the club have camped in Aberystwyth, the first camp taking place in 1933.
The archive picture shows the club setting off from the same spot in 1914. The photograph shows Frankenstein’s textile factory (demolished in 1973) where the general store stands today. In 1914 the party were heading for Ramsey on the Isle of Man and the charabanc was used to transport lads to the railway station for the journey to Liverpool.
Salford University cheerleading squad, the Salford Sirens were in the gym recently, rehearsing for the national finals at Loughborough where they came 2nd with their cheer routine. The team practise every week at Salford University and also run community classes sponsored by the Manchester United Foundation and Salford City Council.
Looking through the club archives we found a picture of the Lads’ Club gymnastic squad performing their routine at the 1930 Salford Pageant at Buile Hill Park.
We are opens as part of the annual “Heritage Weekend Open Days” on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th September from 12 -4pm
On display will be our new permanent display of 100 pictures of the club’s annual camping holidays which started in 1904. The weekend will also include a concert by a quartet from the BBC Philharmonic who will perform in restored Edwardian Concert Hall.
The BBC Philharmonic Quartet will playEnglish string music from the early 1900’s – including Parry, Warlock, Elgar and Britten. The concert will last approx. one hour.
The BBC Philharmonic Quartet concert is on Sunday 9th September at 2pm
We are open this weekend to show a new permanent display of 100 framed pictures of the annual Salford Lads’ Club camps from 1904 – 2011.This is part of a Heritage Lottery Funded project to celebrate the clubs camping history.
Also a collection of short digital films produced as the result of a year-long collaboration between Salford Lads Club and Goldsmiths College, University of London.
The historic 100th camp by the club takes place in Aberystwyth from May 28th – 4th June.
As part of the celebrations we have arranged a day visit by coach for up to 50 former members who attended a Salford Lads Club camp in the past.
If you are a former member and would like to take part, please either ring the club on 0161 872 3767 leaving your name and contact details and we will get back to you. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Preparations for the camp are already underway, a new camp hut was delivered to the site.
At the club meeting have taken for new campers, tent captains and the team of volunteers.